In the North of Serbia of the Pannonian Plain bordered by the Danube and the River Sava in the west and south and by the state borders with Hungary and Romania in the north and east, lies the Autonomous Province of Vojvodina.
This administrative, historic, geographic and economic region covers 21,533 km2 and is divided by the Danube, the River Sava and the River Tisa into three natural districts: Bačka, Banat and Srem.
Vojvodina is agricultural, mainly flatland region wellknown for its extraordinary soil and climate.Vojvodina has not only been the breadbasket of the country but also the economically most developed region in the country. There are oil-and gas-wells, the most developed processing, food, chemical and metal industries.
The name Vojvodina was first mentioned in the revolution of 1848/49 after the May Convention in Sremski Karlovci on 13th May 1848, when the representatives of Serbs in Austria and Hungary proclaimed the foundation of Serbian Vojvodina, as result of their effort to have its national traits recognized.
As well as two great empires clashed here: the Austrian and the Ottoman so did the two cultures: the East and the West also touched and the traces are still visible in the remains of the buildings from the middle ages. The Ortodox monasteries in the Fruska Gora (13th – 18th century) are still keeping the rare samples of Medival art, handwritten and printed books. By the end of the 18th and the beginning of the 19th century the recovery of the Serbian culture was taking place and the foundations of the modern Serbian society were laid. The Serbian culture was renewed here in the north under European influence, the spiritual and political centre of the Serbs in the Hapsburg Empire was in Sremski Karlovci. First grammar schools were founded, theatres, libraries, singer societies, newspapers, and in 1826 in Budapest the first cultural institution – Matica Srpska.
Sitio web Principal
Otros sitios web relevantes