Hunedoara County Description
The County of Hunedoara is located in the central-western part of Romania being intersected by the 46o parallel southern latitude and the 23o meridian eastern longitude. As neighbors we mention the Counties of: Arad, Alba, Vilcea, Gorj, Caras-Severin, Timis and Bihor.
The County's relief is rough and assorted, predominant mountainous with heights decreasing from 2,500 m in the southern region (Retezat - Parang Mountains, at 200 m in Muresului Valley. Between the southern massifs of the Retezat, Parang and Surianu Mountains and the northern massifs of the Poiana Ruscai Mountains and Metalici Mountains we find depressions with lowlands and high terraces, and along the Mures River a wide depression area.
The hydro-graphic network of the county is wide and complex. The Mures River crosses the county and has as main branches Strei, Rau Mare and Cerna. The southern part of the county is drained by the Eastern and Western Jiu, and the northern part the the waters of the Crisul Alb.
Multiple lakes, most often of glacial origin especially in Retezat - Tau Mare, Tau Mic, Tau Portii, Bucura, Zanoaga, Tau Negru, Judete, Slaveiul, Stanisoara, Tapului, Galesul; in Parang - Galcescu, Rosiile, Zavoaiele, Mandra, Denes etc and from Surianu - Iezerul Mare and Iezerul Mic, lakes contributing to the county"s mountain colorful background.
Of great importance we mention the anthropique lakes Cincis and Valea de Pesti.
- Coal basins: Petrosani basin (at Lupeni, Uricani, Vulcan, Aninoasa, Petrila, Lonea, Paroseni, Dilja, Barbateni, Livezeni);
- Altogether coal within the Tebea basin;
- Iron-ore basins: Poiana Rusca Maountains (Ghelari, Teliuc and Vadu Dobrii) and Zarand Mountains (Ciungani - Cazanesti);
- Gold and silver ores: Metalici Mountains (Musariu, Gura Barza, Brad, Certej, Sacaramb);
- Copper pyrite: Deva
- Complex-non-ferrous ores: Metaliferi Mountains (Baita, Sacaramb, Hondol, Magura-Toplita), Poiana Ruscai Mountains (Muncelu Mic) and Zarand Mountains (Ciungani, Cazanesti, Almas Saliste);
- Bauxite: Ohaba-Ponor;
- Bentonitic talc: Lelese, Cerisor
- Dolomite: Teliuc, Zlati
- Gypsum: Calanu Mic
- Quartz sand: Baru, Uricani
- Limestone: Craciunesti, Ardeu, Roscani, Lapugiu, Zlasti, Banita Travertin Carpinis, Bampotoc, Geoagiu
- Marble: Alunis and Luncani
- Carbon dioxide: Ocolisu Mare
- Mineral and thermal waters: Boholt, Bacaia, Geoagiu, Vata and Calan
- Andesite and dacite andesite
As part of the land fund we mention the alluvial, gleic and pseudo-gleic soils, black earth on river valleys, in great and wide alluvial plains (Mures, Strei, Cris etc). In depressions, on the terrace and piedmont hills we find black earth, brown – red soils, forests and podsols. Within the low mountain region up to 1000 - 1200 m we observe typical brown podsol soils and mountain acids.
The pedological fund of alluvial plains, depressions, hills is fertile and used very efficiently within agriculture.
Besides the alpine and sub-alpine vegetation on the high peaks there is a rich forest vegetation, coniferous, beech forests, mixed beech and durmast forests, carrus forests, as well as parks interrupted by sallow, osier, alnus, aspen etc.
The fauna covers the main existent species within Romania, of great hunting interest: Black goat, deer, Carpathian bear, boar, fox, wolf, rabbit and the entire diversity of singing birds. The lakes and rivers are abundant in various fish species (skobar, trout, cephalus, mrena, luce, salmons and other species).
The water resources cover rivers, alpine lakes, ponds as well as important and various sub-terrain aquifer basins.
Under the aspect of natural resources of interest for future investment activities we consider:
- pit products (marble, granite, basalt, ballast);
- mineral waters, natural CO2;
- natural frame
and an integrate exploitation and capitalization strategy for pit products is proposed, founding a holding, joint – venture type with a foreign investor for mineral waters and CO2 as well as actions for increasing the county’s economic value by developing and promoting tourism activities.
Capitalization of production capacities
Under the aspect of capitalization of production capacities (unused capacities and capacities functioning below designed parameters) a capitalization strategy is formulated based especially on their proposal at the disposition of small and average enterprises with capital infusion, and for non-performance capacities studies will be formulated and action will be taken in order for these to become valid.
Priorities insuring the developing and arrangement strategy within the Hunedoara's County territory:
- improving the infrastructure regarding communication networks;
- complex administration of waters;
- energetic and thermic equipment;
- arrangement and development of the "Apuseni Mountains" area;
- maintenance and development of the land fund;
- stimulating the development of small and average enterprises;
- promoting new urban centers within communes;
- building new units within the sanitary field and units specific to senior age;
- enhancement of environment factors for improving the population's health state;
- diversification and efficiency of economic activities by improving technology and efficient management, activities generating new working places, especially in Jiului Valley and Hunedoara.
Sitio web Principal
Consiliul Judetean Hunedoara